7.27.2008

Thankful

After our usual Sunday swim with the Mayes', the kids and I went to see my grandparents in Elkins.  We haven't seen them since March, so I was excited to catch up on lost time.   

One of the things I look forward to when we visit them is the "wall".  In the entry way of their kitchen, my grandfather has a wall where he marks all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren's (my kids) height.  He backs us up to the wall while placing a book on our head, and marks our height with our name and date.  As usual, he marked all my children, and amazingly they had all grown a significant amount since March.  As we stood back and had the routine conversation about how quickly they grow up, it hit me hard how true that is.  In just a few short years, they will be grown and I will be wondering where the time has gone.

 Moments before he marked them on the wall, I sat at the table with them complaining about how hard it is to be a mother to three small children.  Sometimes I feel like I run in circles every day, then I wake up and do it all over again.  I deal with attitudes all day, I cook, clean, do laundry, dishes, baths, iron... the list goes on and on.  

When it hit me, I thought... gosh, they really ARE growing up fast.  How is it possible that they could grow inches in just four months?  Instead of wishing the minutes would pass just to get to another day, or another year, I should stop and be thankful for what I have.  Every moment I have with them is a gift, and I should be cherishing every second. 

Today in church the sermon was on thankfulness, and I really felt the Holy Spirit speak to me. Colossians 3:15-17 says, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace.  And be thankful.  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.  And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Amen!  What a great responsibility and honor it is, that God chose me to be a mother to Kent, Grace and Amos.  This was His perfect plan for me.  So, my goal is to joyfully serve my family and be thankful for them.  I will put the house work aside and invest in my family, and be thankful. All the little things that I will do for them that are sometimes expected or that don't come with a "thank you", I will do in the name of the Lord Jesus.  God has blessed our family in countless ways with his unfailing love.  Why am I complaining???  We are so blessed!  

Thank you Lord!  

2 comments:

Jamie said...

That is so very true! I say a big Amen to your post.

The "W" Family said...

That is such a good reminder. One of my biggest fears is waking up one day and there are no more toys under my feet, smudges on the windows, or fights (well maybe not those) and I've missed it. It is so hard to balance the house, husbands, alone time, kids, etc. You're a great mom. Thanks for your post!